Mahina Expeditions offers offshore sail-training expeditions, offshore sailing seminars and boat purchase consultation.

Mahina Expeditions, Offshore Cruising Training


Leg 1, 2009, Update 1

February 17, 2009, 0145 hrs, 7.29 N, 079.53W, Log: 124,501
Broad reaching at 8 – 9 kts, occasionally 11 kts in 28-32 kt N winds
Baro: 1010.9, Cabin Temp: 79 F, cockpit 76 F


With 2 kts of current and 25 knot following winds we are surfing toward Punta Mala (bad point) our last headland of Panama to round before our course aims directly to Cocos Island. All shipping headed to or from SE Asia and the West Coast of North America also has to round this headland so it’s a very busy place! Our Raymarine AIS receiver is again proving worth its salt.

Our Leg 1 crew met us yesterday afternoon to hand over passports and begin our safety orientation. We are down one crew, as a chap at the last minute was unable to join us. When we asked crew if they would mind coming to the boat at 10:30 instead of 12, they eagerly agreed. As much as Amanda and I enjoy Panama it is always a relief to receive our zarpe (outbound clearance) and set sail.

Shelter Bay Marina

Shelter Bay Marina Staff

Shelter Bay Marina was a real treat, in fact it has everything a cruising sailor could ask for in a pit stop; friendly staff, a very reasonable restaurant, showers, laundry and even a small swimming pool, all at very reasonable daily rates. It gave us the opportunity to get Mahina Tiare all tidied up and partly provisioned for our long passage to Cocos Island and Hawaii.

Our Panama Canal transit last Wednesday and Thursday went as smooth as can be, partly thanks to our canal agent, Tina McBride. After leaving the marina around 1630 on Wednesday we were directed to wait in Anchorage Area F, also known as “the flats” near the soon-to-be closed Panama Yacht Club. Here we counted over 50 boats at anchor in the area and noticed a French aluminum 40 foot sloop, also festooned with tires at the rail, anchored near the outer boundary of the area. A call from Cristobal Control, the Canal control station, confirmed that a pilot launch would be delivering pilot advisors to both us and Graine D’Etoil, the French boat. As we were finishing a quick dinner the launch delivered our pilot advisor at around 1900 and after boarding our advisor asked us to motor slowly enough toward Gatun Locks that an inbound freighter could pass us and enter the first of three locks.

Graine D’Etoil anchored at the “Flats”

Entering Gatun Lock

The mass of lights at the locks were a little confusing and as we got close to the lock the advisor asked us to raft to the French boat. Since MT was the larger boat with more horsepower we were asked to be the active boat with the French boat just occasionally asked to use reverse as we closed on the stern of the ship. I found our new 10 hp Sidepower bow thruster installed in Sweden last July to be a huge help in maneuvering at close quarters inside the lock. In fact, before long the pilot advisor added “thruster port, and thruster starboard” to his list of maneuvering requests. It really took the tension out of trying to keep a somewhat unmanouverable raft of boats from getting pushed into the rough canal walls by the inflooding current.

News of Amanda’s famous mahi-mahi fish tortilla dinner spread and once inside the lock the pilot advisor on the French boat asked if he could have some as well after hearing about them from our advisor. We guessed he wasn’t very excited about the food the French had provided. Talk of French food with our rafted neighbors soon led to rugby….need we say more.

With this one set of three chambered locks to transit it was not long before we were released into Gatun Lake. We broke the raft after clearing the lock and proceeded across the lake for 15 minutes before anchoring near a large mooring buoy. As of last year the Canal changed the rules so that northbound sail boats always start their transit in the evening, spending a night on the lake before continuing.

At 2300 after anchoring, apple pie and ice cream we went to sleep. In the very early hours before dawn we were awakened by howler monkeys and soon after, the songs of tropical birds drifting over the lake.

When we return to MT in Shelter Bay Marina after leaving her in the water for five weeks we discovered that our three-month old International Cruiser Uno bottom paint had grown quite a crop of barnacles and slime in the nutrient-rich water. Amanda had made cleaning the bottom her morning exercise routine until the marina manager told her that as the marina was located in a nature preserve, no bottom scrubbing was allowed. So, she had been looking forward to getting up at a sparrow’s fart (that’s Kiwi for very early) to finish up the bottom cleaning in the lake before our pilot was due to arrive at 0700 Thursday. Never mind that the lake has crocodiles and that technically no one is allowed to swim in it.

At 0730 our pilot advisor was aboard and we were underway. On the 30 mile motor to the next set of locks we passed extensive dredging, blasting and earth moving operations, all part of the widening, deepening and enlarging of the Canal for the new, larger locks which are currently out for bid with construction due to start in 2010. It all occurs one scoop at a time and it looks like a huge project!

The Canal largest dredge in operation

Blasting Barge

Diggers widening the Gaillard Cut

Side rafted to Graine D’Etoil

Fancy DEA drug boat

M.T in an uncompleted section of Flamenco Marina

By 1430 we had completed our canal transit and were passing under the Bridge of the Americas. Just past the bridge we saw a very strange looking DEA-US Navy ship that our pilot advisor said had a top speed of 80 knots.

We then passed the Balboa Yacht Club where every mooring was occupied and had been for two months. The club consists of a mooring field, a fuel dock and a little outdoor bar-café and is a very sought after stop for cruisers, overwhelmed by demand this time of year.

An overflow anchorage, La Playita, further out to sea by Flamenco signal station had 60 boats anchored with limited legal options for landing dinghies. After two months of requests we were finally thankfully assigned a berth in Flamenco Marina, where we had moored on two early visits. The berth we were directed to had just been completed; in fact a large compressor and generator were running on the dock as workers completed the slips on the opposite side. There was no power, but there was water and the berth was safe and secure allowing us to go ashore for provisioning trips without worrying about MT or our dinghy. The cost was nearly double Shelter Bay rates, but similar to Mexican or European marinas at $1.50 per foot per day, prepayment required.

Our transit crew headed toward the bus station and hotel and we moved over to the fuel dock to top our tanks before washing down and breathing a sigh of relief…MT was now back in the Pacific.

Friday and Saturday were busy provisioning days as our taxi driver friend Oscar shuttled us between the jam-packed and crazy public market for fresh fruit and three other small packed supermarkets plus Price Cutters, Panama’s Costco. There isn’t any one store in Panama that has everything a yacht would need food-wise for a long passage, but as this was our fourth time provisioning in Panama City, Amanda had precise lists for each store and twice we filled Oscar’s cab to the ceiling.

Amanda at the public market

Another grocery load to carry down the dock

Saturday we even had time to look for some lightweight tropical shirts in the gigantic Albrook Mall, and to stop at the handicraft center to look at the intriguing carved tagua nut tropical animals for Christmas presents. By Sunday we were actually nearly all caught up so Amanda and I celebrated with a nice Italian bistro dinner out on the waterfront after meeting crew.

That brings you up to date.

We have a strong and eager crew for this 4,500 mile expedition. They’re all eager to snorkel and hike on Cocos Island when we arrive in a couple days, and are intrigued by the possibility of stopping at tiny uninhabited Clipperton Island a week or so later.

Here they are:

Leg 1 Crew, Sven, Roger, Paul, Jim. Stewart & A&J

Sven Wallgren, 58 lives near Stockholm, Sweden. Before retiring, Sven has been working a lot of the time in SE Asia, involved in production and development of machines and equipment for the pressed-concrete building industry. After retiring he lived in Malaysia almost seven months. Sven owns a Hallberg-Rassy 37 which he is thinking about sailing from Sweden to the Med, inviting friends to join him on different legs.

Roger Remmen, 54 is a surveyor and lives on 13 acres south of Seattle. He has enjoyed sailing his Catalina 27 for the past several years and has joined us to improve his sailing skills and to prepare for his OUPV USCG license. Roger has dreams of sailing around the world one day.

Paul Fitzgerald, 60 lives on Lake Erie in Euclid, Ohio and has the goal of acquiring ocean crossing skills and to see that after this 30 day passage if he really wants to take his guitar and sail around the world. He owns a telecommunications company that designs software for phone systems, and has a water ski boat.

Jim Beeckman, 58 is a retired fire fighter who lives and sails in Portland, Oregon. He is a semi-retired airborne air traffic controller for forest fires, directing fixed and rotary wing fire-fighting aircraft. Jim looks forward to gaining more skills and using them for coastal cruising in the Northwest.

Stewart Angus, 60 was born and raised in Scotland, and has followed a Celtic shamanic path that has taken many different paths in life; from computer engineer to massage therapist. Stewart has a dream of finding a bonnie lass and a strong boat to sail to the ends of the earth.



Leg 1, 2009, Update 2

February 21, 2009, 0145 hrs, 7.42 N, 87.48 W, Log: 124,964
Reaching at 7 kts, in 12 kt NE winds
Baro: 1006.9, Cabin Temp: 79 F, cockpit 77 F

Cocos Island Update

Before reaching the 3 by 5 mile Cocos Island our winds dropped off and we spent the last day motoring in very light conditions. Overall our conditions had been rather light though we welcomed Stewart drumming for wind, daily spinnaker sessions and afternoon swims to cool off and check on MT.

Stewart beats the sun down and asks the gods for wind

MT in flat afternoon seas during swim time

Amanda checks the rudder

Jim and I transferred the extra 17 gallons we’d specifically stowed on deck for the passage to Cocos and the next day topped off the tanks with the extra 40 gallons in jugs we carry in the lazarette.
John and Jim transferring the extra 17 gallons of fuel
Around midnight we reached the island.

Generally we don’t enter strange anchorages and new countries at night but we had entered Chatham Bay three times before over the past seven years and had snorkeled a fair amount of the bay. The tropical smells wafting off the land instantly brought back memories of the Marquesas and Society Islands. There were no lights on shore at the park hut and no sign of any other boats. As we scanned our spotlight we picked up one large mooring float capable of holding the 100’ liveaboard dive boats that visit Cocos weekly and when Amanda shined the light in the water hundreds of fish schooled around and some jumped clean out.

Jim wrote in his diary: “It was sublime to arrive at a tropical island by sailboat; no jet, not rental car and no hotel.”

Cocos Island, discovered by a Spanish navigator in 1526, was used as a base for pirates and corsairs for the next hundred years. Countless tales of buried treasure exist, but treasure hunting is no longer allowed, now that the island is a national park. Costa Rica claimed possession of the island in 1869, but the island has remained uninhabited except for park rangers and volunteers in recent years.

As we had the exact coordinates and depth of our last visit two years ago we headed for that location and anchored. Once anchored Amanda called the park rangers on Ch 16 and a few minutes later Roberto, a park volunteer sleepily replied saying that we were welcome to use the moorings and to contact them in the morning regarding clearance into the park. It was a rolly night in the open roadstead anchorage and by first light several of our crew was in the cockpit taking in the steep cliffs, waterfall and verdant shades of green on the surrounding cliffs.

We again called ashore and were told that the rangers from the main park settlement at Wafer Bay, two miles west, would be stopping by to check our papers in an hour. An hour later we watched the park patrol boat zoom by on a circumnavigation of the island without stopping so we called back and were told we should move to Wafer Bay and come ashore to clear in, which we did.

Friendly fish surround MT on Amanda’s morning swim

MT motoring to Wafer Bay

The bi-weekly change of watch for the park administrator was happening with the departure of the dive boat (the only transportation available to this remote island) and we waited 1.5 hrs. on the beach before Andrea, a UN environmental scientist from Southern California, born of Costa Rican parents took our park fees of $25 per person per day, and bugged the administrator to clear us in. He finally did, adding the charge for the boat which is also $25 per day.

Andrea gave us a tour of the park ranger’s headquarters which included huge quantities of seized long line fishing gear complete with radio beacons, an interesting small hydroelectric plant reached by a swinging bridge constructed of seized fishing line and floats, and a native plant nursery for regeneration.

Andrea showing us the seized fishing gear

From the swing bridge Andrea points out the fish below

After showing us through the ranger’s living and dining quarters we viewed a short DVD on the efforts to stop illegal fishing within the park boundaries. The hammerhead shark population has been reduced by 75% over the past ten years due to illegal fishing. The huge quantity of hammerhead sharks is the main attraction

Roberto chats with Paul and Stewart over a welcoming cold drink

for the liveaboard dive boats (two companies, operating three boats) which are the lifeline for the park service, In efforts to halt the illegal fishing three park patrol boats cover the parks 12 mile offshore boundary zone which totals 2,000 km2.

After she had spent several hours showing us around, we asked Andrea if there was anything she needed that we might have aboard. She mentioned that fresh fruit was quite rare and shyly mentioned chocolate, so after a quick trip out to MT, I returned with a bag of bananas, grapefruit oranges and a big chocolate bar.

Our crew elected to make the challenging two hour hike from Wafer back to Chatham while Amanda and I with the help of Sven motored MT back to Chatham. Here we all enjoyed visiting with Roberto, Pancho and Jorge and washed some clothes by hand in the abundant water. The guys were delighted with the bag of fruit we brought and Roberto related that on Sunday one of the boats found a body floating off the island with hands and head chopped off, and hours later an illegal fishing boat reported an upside down semi-submerged fishing boat. After enquiring, the rangers found out the crew of four had been rescued from the sunken boat and taken by another fishing boat to Costa Rica. The derelict vessel had been intentionally holed and sunk by the rangers the day before we arrived. Never a dull moment on this small island with a colorful history of pirates and buried treasure!

For more details on Cocos click here.

cocos island

While Amanda and I were ashore doing some laundry our crew went snorkeling off the boat but not for long! Once our crew sighted several inquisitive but harmless sharks, everyone was out of the water in seconds. Although numbering in the thousands, according to Andrea, the only thing that has ever been bitten by a shark on Cocos was a camera years ago.

Just before sunset we slipped our mooring and set sail for tiny, uninhabited Clipperton Island, 1,350 miles WNW and directly on our course to Hilo. Well set sail is what we wished we did, but with winds averaging less than 2kts, we “set motor” for Clipperton Island.

Cocos is located in the ITCZ (Inter Tropical Convergence Zone, aka The Doldrums) between the NE and SE trades. This usually windless belt runs at around 4-7 degrees north from Costa Rica to SE Asia. By looking at the GRIB weather charts, we could see that about 120 miles NW we should encounter 12 kt NE winds along the edge of the NE tradewind belt, so we are reluctantly burning fuel to get there. I say reluctantly as we still have 4,000 miles to go, and we have already used all the 77 gallons of fuel we carry in our jerry jugs and one extra drum that we purchased for the passage. That leaves us our two main tanks with about 250 gallons, which should be more than enough once we reach the trades. With repeated news bulletins from NZ Met Service and NOAA about this being a La Nina weather season, we expect stronger than normal trades throughout the North and South Pacific, all the way to New Zealand. This bodes very well for our expeditions this season, as Mahina Tiare loves nothing better than surfing downwind in reinforced trades that can blow 25-35 kts for weeks at a time!

February 23, 2009, 0400 hrs, 7.15 N, 92.26 W, Log: 125,291
Motoring at 6 kts, in 6.8 kt NE winds
Baro: 1006.9, Cabin Temp: 81 F, cockpit 78 F

The winds did fill in and soon after first light yesterday we had the cruising spinnaker up, pulling us along at 6 kts in light air. Throughout the morning the wind steadily increased until soon lunchtime when it started touching 22kts. We’ve never carried our cruising spinnaker in winds over 15 kts, and steering was exciting, but challenging for some. Amanda and I were concerned about getting the sail down safely (and without getting it wet) but with lots of hands helping, the drop went flawlessly.

Our winds kept building, touching 27 kts briefly, so we tucked in a reef in the main and a couple in the genoa and really reeled off the miles. We’ve been battling the equatorial counter current which sets to the east and stretches along the ITCZ. It has been consistently taking .5 – 1.0 knots off our speed through the water, so the extra speed was a bonus. As we get slightly north we should feel the effects of the equatorial current which sets at the same speed to the west, a favorable direction for us.

February 24, 2009, 1215 hrs, 8.02 N, 95.52 W, Log: 125,504
Broad reaching at 8.2 - 10 kts, in 24 - 28 kt NE winds
Baro: 1010.5, Cabin Temp: 83 F, cockpit 80 F

Yesterday brought modest wind conditions and after breakfast Amanda asked if we could set the spinnaker. The seas were slight and winds were 12-14 knots but as the GRIB forecast was for 20 kt winds I said we should wait. Class (provisioning, followed by the third installment and test on marine weather) ran into lunch and before long it was 1500 and we were still poking along at 5-6 kts. Lesson learned; if we have light air and fairly flat seas in the morning the spinnaker goes up!

Finally we are getting to the edge of the equatorial counter-current. The majority of the time now the current is with us instead of against us. The air and water temperature have dropped several degrees and yesterday skies were overcast for much of the day so we didn’t need to rig our Magma cockpit umbrella. When we took saltwater showers (we sure love our new pump and shower arrangement!) the seawater was noticeably cooler.

Just this morning the trades really filled in, gusting close to 30 kts, and MT has taken off like a shot, reaching speeds over 10 kts as we surf along on a deep broad reach, the genoa supported by the whisker pole. It feels great to finally be really making the miles in the right direction!

The really great news is that Sven’s foot infection has really responded to the Cipro antibiotics and anti-fungal cream.

Sven’s infected foot

Two days before we reached Cocos Sven came to us and said he was concerned about his feet. He showed us fungal infections between several toes on both feet that had produced open fissures and blisters in the skin and secondary infections that has caused one of his feet in particular to swell, turn red and be warm to touch.

A quick look at the Merck Manual and Marine Medicine references confirmed our initial thoughts. We started him on broad spectrum antibiotics and told him to increase his topical applications of Lamasil anti-fungal cream from once to several times a day. We were reluctant to start on a 3.5 week tropical voyage with very little opportunity of medical help in this condition and mentioned that if it didn’t improve he might be able to catch a ride to Costa Rica if a liveaboard dive boat was returning.

Sven kept his foot clean, dry, and elevated when possible, was religious about following up with the oral and topical medication, skipped the grueling hike on Cocos. By the time we were ready to leave his foot looked slightly better and every day since it has improved, this is a huge relief, though Amanda can no longer call him “Big Foot”.


Leg 1, 2009, Update 3

March 2, 2009, 1945 hrs, 11.40 N, 112.03 W, Log: 126,541
Reaching at 8 kts, in 23 kt NE winds
Baro: 1011.9, Cabin Temp: 85 F, cockpit 90 F

Clipperton Island Update

For several days before reaching Clipperton we zoomed along without touching the sails with daily runs of 190, 184 and 170. It became apparent that if we didn’t slow down we would reach this tiny, 1 x 2 mile ring of coral before dawn Sunday morning.

Saturday we passed a 150’ tuna clipper from Panama, complete with an R-22 helicopter perched atop its pilothouse.

Crew practice reefing

That afternoon a friendly noddy came and landed on our dodger, pecking at a cracker before heading off again.

Sailing through diving birds
So, we reduced sail and practiced Lifesling rescue, then hove to for class and to change the oil before setting sail again.

Jim was the first to spot Clipperton Rock, a 60’ tall rugged rock covered with nesting birds and guano. As we approached the island we saw the thickest swarms of dive bombing booby birds and gannets we’re ever seen.

Roger altered course to steer directly through several swarms of birds and frolicking bottlenose dolphins, but we didn’t land a fish. Amanda was kept busy replacing broken hooks and lures as what must have been huge fish striking her lines.

We expected the island to be mischarted, based on our 2002 visit, but this time as we sailed closer, trying to check out what looked on the chart to be the best anchorage and the only beach landing without a coral reef, the US paper chart and Nobeltec electronic chart showed us to be sailing inside the lagoon.

Prominent Clipperton Rock

Nobeltec view of Clipperton

The anchorage opposite the landing place had large breakers directly shoreward, and Amanda suggested we sail further along the coast to see if we could find better shelter.

Sailing through diving birds
We found a shelf with 36’ and dropped anchor. The visibility wasn’t clear enough to tell if the bottom was sand or coral (we found it was all fairly flat coral when we later went snorkeling) and the breakers were breaking heavily on shore not far from us. A large swell wrapped around the tiny island and strong currents caused MT to frequently spin and pull tight on the anchor. We let 150’ of chain out and set out nearly all of the chain snubber line to act as a shock absorber.

Shoreline and flag panorama
Ashore we spotted the remains of a large French flag flying from a flagpole, plus a raised coral platform with a concrete marker with a large “RF” (Republique Francaise) painted on it. We assumed this was to bolster France’s tenuous claim to this tiny island far from French Polynesia as the island is also claimed by Mexico. I recall reading in a newspaper in Tahiti years ago that when a French hydrographic survey ship had made a run from Clipperton to the Marquesas doing bottom sampling,  it had found a substantial amount of manganese nodules on the ocean floor while enroute.

Years ago we heard, second hand, of a sport fishing boat from Mexico, less than 600 miles away, that the area around Clipperton teemed with sharks. Hence no one was keen to get into the water. I couldn’t resist though and didn’t see a single shark, but saw thousands of curious trigger fish. I also noticed that MT had grown a beard of tenacious gooseneck barnacles along the port aft quarter and stern from being heeled over so long on one tack. It took about an hour to scrub the barnacles off, helped by Jim, Paul and Amanda.

Since leaving Clipperton we have been battling the equatorial counter current at between .5 and 2.0 knots. This morning Jim, our navigator for today, plotted out position on the North Pacific Pilot Chart for March. It showed that the counter current should be flowing just south of our position. We are hoping to break out of it and into the North Equatorial Current which should be running with us at .5 to 1.0 knots which will make a huge difference in our daily runs. Today’s run was a measly 140 miles, even though we have been carrying full sail in winds gusting to 25 knots.

As today was our halfway party, Amanda made space in the fridge for the watermelon she’d purchased at the Panama fruit and vege market. Wow, what a hit it was with crew – icy cold and perfectly ripe!

Halfway celebration

Narrowly dodging and afternoon waterspout

The four week instead of two or three week format of this expedition means that we can really go into detail in our classes. Today we covered watermakers and ocean currents.

March 8, 2009, 0700 hrs, 16.14 N, 127.53 W, Log: 127,502
Broad reaching at 7.8 kts, in 21 kt NE winds
Baro: 1011.9, Cabin Temp: 77 F, cockpit 74 F

Our winds have held steady and several days ago we got out of the counter current and into the North Equatorial Current which is frequently giving us the 0.5 knot favorable current shown on the pilot chart. The GRIB charts have shown a small depression (only 1011 mb) heading our way with a substantial amount of rain and a lessening amount of wind. Yesterday it showed 30-35 knots in the frontal passage, this morning it is only showing 25 knots. In any case, we have the storm staysail ready and have discussed fore-reaching through the frontal line. The front should pass late this afternoon and early evening.

We haven’t had the steady winds that gave us spectacular runs of 200-209 miles per day that we had in 2002, but we have been averaging around 170 miles per day and with just 1540 miles to go are right on schedule.

March 10, 2009, 0700 hrs, 17.05 N, 134.17 W, Log: 127,863, 1180 miles to Hilo!
Broad reaching at 7.5 kts, in 20-27 kt NE winds
Baro: 1015.6, Cabin Temp: 74 F, cockpit 72 F

The frontal passage occurred a couple days ago, but it was somewhat ill-defined. We have had gusty 20-35 kt winds and crossed seas ever since, going back and forth between two reefs and three in the mainsail. All of our crew have become very fast at tucking in and shaking out reefs!

Finally, we landed a fish. Just as Amanda was preparing a chicken curry dinner Sunday night, Stewart shouted, “FISH ON!” and EVERYONE sprang into action, heading for the aft deck. We landed a very feisty mahi mahi that was nearly as tall as Amanda and it took two of us with the gaff hook and line to hoist it on board.

It has gotten substantially cooler every day as we sail away from the tropics and long pants plus foulie bottoms are being worn at night.


Leg 1, 2009, Update 4

March 18, 2009, 1300 hrs, 19.44 N, 155.03 W, Log: 129,038, At anchor, Radio Bay, Hilo Harbor, Hawaii!
Baro: 1014.6, Cabin Temp: 74 F, cockpit 76 F


Our last week had everything from 48 kts in squalls, convective cells with lightning, gorgeous downwind sailing and even motoring in calm conditions for the last day and a half. One of Roger’s personal goals was to gain heavy weather experience, and he became very adept and fast at tucking in and shaking out reefs in the changeable conditions.

Our crew was so serious about our teaching schedule that some days we had class in the evening as well as every morning after breakfast. They even sat through the entire Pacific Rescue DVD of the Queen’s Birthday Storm which we encountered in 1994, and had a lively discussion afterwards on storm survival tactics.

Sven taking a noon site

Good luck on the fishing as we land another mahi

Jim tries his hand at filleting fish

After we sighted the island of Hawaii Tuesday morning, we started seeing humpback whales breeching on either side of us. Several newborns were in the group and we kept seeing them close at hand the entire way to the breakwater. These whales spend summers feeding in Alaska, but come to Hawaii for mating and calving during the winter and spring.

Dropping the mainsail as we approach Radio Bay

I found the email address for Hilo customs in a magazine in Panama and was pleased when George Valdez, one of the customs officers offered to meet us in Radio Bay harbor after hours (they close at 1400) to clear us in. We arrived at 1600, anchored, then backed stern-to the concrete wall in Radio Bay.

George Valdez and John filling out clearance papers
Just like that we were set! Our biggest decision remaining was where to go to dinner. Café Pesto, a trendy and very popular place on the Hilo waterfront, won out. We enjoyed our dinning out so much so that crew suggested we also go to breakfast at Hilo’s famous Ken’s House of Pancakes.

Wednesday morning Sven picked up a rental car and took off touring the island, along with Paul and Jim, meanwhile Stewart headed home and Roger was off to Kona to visit friends.

MT in the Travellift
Early Saturday morning (0300) Amanda and I set sail for Kona and our Monday morning haulout appointment. Tuesday night we head back home to Friday Harbor, to prepare for our Seattle and Oakland Offshore Cruising Seminars, so we’ll be busy till then cleaning and packing up Mahina Tiare for several months of boatyard storage.

We still have a few seats left in both seminars, but it does look like they will sell out as usual, so best to sign up on line or call Armchair Sailor, 1-800-875-0852 while space is still available.

I will be available for boat purchase consultation and will also be please to answer any questions about our two remaining 2009 expedition legs.

These expedition updates will resume soon after July 16 when we set sail from Hilo on our Leg 2-09 expedition to Tahiti and the South Pacific.





brochure | schedule | faq | expedition updates | latest news | seminars | amanda's world | contact | home
This site was designed & is maintained by Tif & Gif Creative

Please direct any questions to

P.O. BOX 1596
Friday Harbor, WA. USA 98250
PHONE (360) 378-6131
FAX (360) 378-6331
All Rights Reserved.
© 1996 - 2015