Since 1976 I have professionally consulted with over 12,000 people seeking cruising boats. My experience in the marine industry is unique; 400,000 miles and 50 years worldwide ocean sailing experience plus boatbuilding, surveying and previously owning a yacht brokerage. I’ve also owned and maintained four ocean cruising boats.
March 28, 2023 MARKET UPDATE:
I’ve recently returned from New Zealand and the Cook Islands checking out the offshore boat market and services and interviewing harbor masters and marine services people.
I earlier noted in this column of hearing from brokers worldwide that the cruising sailboat market is showing signs of cooling slightly. That was 2 months ago, and since then the market for cruising boats is back hotter than ever with multiple offers within days of listing on good, recent boats. The two most important traits now are diligence and patience while searching for your best boat options.
With the US dollar nearly par with the euro and strong against the pound, European purchases are more attractive than ever, as long as you’re happy starting your cruise from there. It does not make financial sense to purchase in Europe with the plan of shipping or having a yacht delivered to North America.
I am ready and keen to help you find your dream cruising boat.
Unlimited Email Consultation Includes:
- An initial video conference call.
- Analysis of your total overall cost of ownership: purchase, refit, outfitting, maintenance, and resale value.
- A discussion of what you will need to do to become insurable and an introduction to the most appropriate insurance agent(s).
- Analysis of the boats you are currently considering, discussing design, quality, seaworthiness, safety, speed, and comfort.
- Suggestion of additional boats for you to review.
- Listing and selling prices of sisterships utilizing information from soldboats.com.
- Assisting you in formulating an Offer to Purchase.
- Referral to qualified and unbiased marine surveyors worldwide.
- Review of the survey with recommendation on post-survey price negotiations.
- Evaluation of current gear including sails and communications equipment with recommendations of additional equipment needed for safe extended voyaging.
- Advice and referrals regarding documentation/registration, offshore flagging and tax implications.
- Overall voyage planning assistance, plus recommendations of specific weather routers.
- Recommendations of safe boatyards worldwide for refit or storage while you return home.
- Assistance selling you boat years later, potentially in a higher market than where you are considering purchasing.
Unlimited Outfitting and Voyage Planning Consultation
This service is offered if you’ve already ordered or purchased your cruising vessel but need advice and recommendations on gear replacement and additions plus overall voyage planning.
Consultations are best conducted by e-mail.
- Fill out and return the Boat Consultation Questionnaire.
- Contact our Friday Harbor office with your credit card information, office phone: 360-378-6131, mobile 360-378-7344.
- Download a .doc file of the survey. You can email me your completed questionnaire to: email@example.com
Please note I am a professional consultant. I don’t sell boats or receive commissions of any type from anyone. My only interest is in helping you find the boat which will allow you to realize your cruising dreams safely and comfortably, while maintaining as much of your investment as possible.